Geelong Sustainability was delighted to once again coordinate Sustainable House Day, (SHD) in the greater Geelong region. Now in its ninth year the 2017 program featured 10 inspiring properties located around Geelong and on the Bellarine.
Sustainable House Day is a national event coordinated regionally by Geelong Sustainability in conjunction with the City of Greater Geelong. This unique event gives the public an opportunity to tour exemplar sustainable homes, chat directly with homeowners and get free advice from local experts.
This year’s properties showcased a wide range of sustainable features including: straw bale construction, rammed earth walls, polished concrete floors, double glazed windows, salvaged and recycled materials, on and off grid solar systems, permaculture gardens, a regenerative farm and even Geelong’s most sustainable new office building.
The 2017 houses in & around Geelong were
1. Sage Choice 6.5 star house & regenerative farm at Bannockburn
2. Barwon Water’s new 5-star Green Star headquarters in Ryrie St, Geelong
3. New award winning, 8.2 star retirement home in Highton
4. New 8.2 star, off grid, straw bale home at Mt Duneed
The 2017 houses on the Bellarine were
5. New 7.8 star, off grid home with Lithium battery in Wallington
6. Heritage garden & Landshare case study in Drysdale (garden only)
7. Weatherboard renovation & productive garden in Drysdale
8. New award winning, 6.8 star, 5 kW PV, home & BnB in Drysdale
9. Straw bale, off grid farmhouse & productive garden at Mannerim
10. New 7.5 star home adjoining Edwards Pt at St Leonards
In 2017 though the number of houses open were slightly down on last year, the number of experts, volunteers and average visits per house were our best yet.
- First and foremost we must thank the wonderful home owners who presented their homes so well on SHD, without whom there is no event.
- We also want to thank the many technical experts who provided in-kind support and were kept busy all day giving tours, sharing info and answering questions.
- GS wishes to acknowledge the marketing support from City of Greater Geelong’s Environment and Communications Dept and the event coordination grant from Future Proofing Geelong.
- GS appreciates the financial support provided by its event sponsors.
Major Event Sponsors:
Geelong Sustainability greatly appreciates the support provided by its major sponsors and also the many local businesses providing onsite expertise at the open houses.