Gene Blackley, founder of Drawdown Australia gave an inspiring Clever Living seminar on March 3 at the Geelong Library. Geelong Sustainability is delighted to be hosting this series again in partnership with the Geelong Regional Library and the Gordon.
Gene’s presentation based on the work of Project Drawdown was titled, The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming. The event was MC’ed by David Spear, the Executive Officer of our new social enterprise, GreenLight.
Why is Drawdown such a really important concept? Because Drawdown is the point in the future when levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere stop climbing and start to steadily decline, thereby stopping catastrophic climate change. We need to get there as quickly, safely and equitably as possible.
Best yet, Drawdown offers cost effective, existing, proven solutions to addressing climate change. If most of these were taken up, we could get to zero emissions and make a better world at the same time.
There’s a clearer understanding now that investing in climate solutions, rather than being a cost, is possibly the greatest economic opportunity of our time. Thinking within financial capital markets and the superannuation industry has shifted significantly.
Gene offered his vision for Greater Geelong as, “evolving into a net-zero emissions economy, accepting the extraordinary economic regeneration opportunities with a diversity of urban, agricultural, and marine environments together with a manufacturing, education and services economy”. The audience was energised with hope and relieved to see how responding to the climate crisis could be a powerful stimulus for positive change.
The 100+ audience was encouraged to heed the message in a recent New York Times article, ‘How to stop freaking out about the environment and tackle climate change’.
We’re grateful to Mik Aidt from Geelong Media for adapting the audio from the seminar into podcasts.
Coincidentally on the same day, ABC Science News report 'Project Drawdown' report says we've already got the tech to reach negative emissions by 2040s. Check it out here, most informative.
If you’re inspired too then we suggest the following actions:
- Sign Zali Steggall’s Private Members Bill petition for a conscience vote on the Climate Change Act. Australia needs sensible climate change legislation to transition to the future, who knows when we will get another opportunity!
- Advocate for Victorian Renewable Energy Targets to limit warming to 1.5 degrees by 2030. Ring Daniel Andrews on (03) 9651 5000 to ask for strong climate targets which are being reviewed this month info here
- Get the latest Drawdown 2020 review here and learn more about the top economically viable solutions.
- Drawdown online course - Sign up to take the Reversing Global Warming online course here to find your unique contribution to reversing global warming.
- Lastly, to keep your energy up on this journey become a member of Geelong Sustainability info here. We have started a new Climate Action advocacy group and have various projects/action groups. We would warmly welcome your participation. We are all in this together!