Geelong Sustainability (GS) was delighted to coordinate Sustainable House Day (SHD) in 2017 with support from the City of Greater Geelong for the ninth year. SHD aligns closely with our mission, which is to inform, inspire and connect communities to create a sustainable future and to protect our natural environment. SHD also aligns with many of the One Planet Living principles. This major community event has evolved into an authentic and very effective learning experience, which inspires Geelong residents to adopt energy efficiency practices and technologies leading to more sustainable lifestyles.
The SHD2017 program had 10 diverse properties open to the public for four hours on Sunday 15th October. The weather was perfect and it proved to be another fabulous event during which much information and knowledge was shared.
All homeowners and onsite experts reported having a rewarding day sharing their knowledge and insights. We had record breaking attendances with approximately 1890 visits recorded overall. The top prize went to Lepus House, the off-grid straw bale house in Mt Duneed, which had 330 visits.
Statistics & Outcomes
The event this year had excellent publicity. In addition to adverts in the Geelong Advertiser, Geelong Indy and Bellarine/Armstrong Creek Times, most papers ran stories leading up to and/or after the event, including an article in the Addy about the Bell’s Highton property, a feature in GT magazine on Anne’s lovely home in Drysdale as well as an interview with Anne, and a feature in the Bellarine/Armstrong Creek Times about Leon & Karin’s house in Drysdale.
Social media & web links
- Thank you to the wonderful home owners who presented their homes so well on SHD, without whom there is no event.
- Thanks to the many technical experts who provided in-kind support and were kept busy all day giving tours, sharing info and answering questions.
- The volunteers that helped out on the day to manage the many visitors, run tours, answer questions and helping the homeowners with their open houses.
- The organisers that worked tirelessly for many months to make this event possible, especially Vicki who put in over 400hrs.
- GS wishes to acknowledge the marketing support from City of Greater Geelong’s Environment and Communications Dept and the event coordination grant from Future Proofing Geelong.
- SHD 2017 Sponsors:
To view a copy of the SHD 2017 report click here